Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

6-14 Time Well Wasted and Spanish Waistlines

Location : Kingsbrook (of course)
Listening to: Lady Gaga - Alejandro

Ok, I didn't pick Lady Gaga.  Laura Hewitt did.  Let's see, stuff that's happened since my last post...

Several of the other students from my school went to Platja d'Aro on Friday.  I figured I'd wait and go up on Saturday but the office for the bus was closed so I stayed around Barcelona for the weekend.  I decided a pub crawl would be the easiest way to meet some more people, and it worked out pretty well :)  I met Canadians, Americans, Australians, and Germans and had a great night.  We (a bunch of German girls and myself) ended up sitting around on a bench on the Plaza Catalunya waiting for the subways to start running again at 5.  I didn't do anything too exciting on Saturday, other than meet up with one of the German girls and another one I hadn't met yet for a few drinks.  Actually that's a lie - I finally found some shorts!  If you've never tried shopping for a 38-inch waist in Barcelona, there are a few things you should know:
  • You're not a 38.  If you can wear a tight 36 but you like the 38's because they're a little loose, you need a 42.  A 38 will look like an unflattering Speedo.
  • Don't ask whether they have anything above a 38.  As I was rummaging through one pile of khaki shorts, one girl said in English without looking up, "36 is the maximum!".  Needless to say, I haven't gone back.
  • Bring any jeans you think you might want, unless you plan on making your own.  I brought two pairs that are getting more than their fair share of use.  If you do find a pair, you had better be able to hem them.  Apparently the only people with my waistline here are 6'6 or better.
So anyway, we went and had a drink or two.  Sam, if you're reading this, I found the mojito place and had one!  Which night did they have the special?  They're so good...
Yesterday was another very lazy day.  I woke up, went shopping for a beach towel and sunscreen (not too tough in Barcelona), and proceeded to fall asleep on the beach for like 3 hours.  I ran back home, changed, and met the same two girls to watch the Germans play their first World Cup game.  If you didn't watch, they destroyed Australia 4-0.  Also, if you didn't watch the USA-UK game, you missed a fun one.  The goalies absolutely decided that game, on both sides.  Tim Howard had an incredible game, and Robert Green absolutely cost the UK their win.  I hope the USA can show up in a little more force in the future, and I'm excited to see what they can do with this bit of luck.

I think that's all for now.  I bought a replacement camera, but I didn't bring the cable today so hopefully I can upload some pictures tomorrow.  I heard there were complaints that I wasn't putting them up anymore :-)

If you're following this blog, feel free to comment on posts or send me an email once in awhile - I think I know of 3 people that are currently reading it and I'd be curious whether there are any more of you out there.  ¡Hasta mañana!

1 comment:

  1. I read the RSS feed every once in awhile. I'm glad you're meeting people over there. I'm in Texas now, and it's much like living in a foreign country sometimes.

    ReplyDelete