Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 1 Dawn

Location: South of Greenland
Listening to: James Cameron - Avatar

Ok, so "Avatar" isn't actually a song but I just finished watching this movie and some of the music is definitely going through my brain.  It's an incredible story - predictable at times but only because it embodies the timeless human notion of rebirth.  Sometimes the initial being has to die for this transformative event to take place.  Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes, as in this movie, it only takes a shift in perspective.

I know this sounds deep and philosophical, but that shouldn't surprise any of you who know me even in the slightest (after all, it is 1am Central Time).  I've thought a lot about what this summer will hold, about the changes it will bring, but as I've looked into and though about my family roots (and watched James Cameron epics) I've realized that the changes which take place in my life this summer are not confined to my own future.  They will affect my family.  They will affect my Alma Mater.  They may even dramatically affect individuals yet unnamed.  I think we would all do well to remind ourselves that we truly are not compartmentalized individuals, but rather parts of a whole - a "network", a "community", a unified "people" divided only where we allow ourselves to be.

The sun just rose outside Angelo's window.  If you've never witnessed a sunrise from the sky, do your best to make it happen (even if it exacerbates your jet lag).  You won't regret it.  I've had the opportunity to witness this a few times, thanks to my early-bird pilot of a father, but watching it happen over an ocean is really something.  It somehow seems a fitting analogy to this point in my life - it's bright and beautiful but I have no idea what's going to show up on the horizon.  Ironically, it's time for me to sleep if I don't want to die at rehearsal tomorrow.  Hasta luego.


No comments:

Post a Comment